EvergyFull time Full day
JOB TITLE: Data Engineer
DEPARTMENT: Operations Analytic s- Topeka General Office or F&M
LOCATION: Topeka, KS
Kansas City, MO
Data Engineer I: $52,000 - $65,000
Data Engineer II: $63,600 - $79,500
Sr Data Engineer: $72,000 - $96,000
Lead Data Engineer: $84,800 - $113,000
Scheduled Work Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (Other hours as required)
Summary of Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Director, Operations Analytics, this position is part of a team devoted to advancing data analytics in Operations. In this role, the engineer will work with team members and stakeholders across the Operations to help implement analytics use cases providing management the ability to make data-driven decisions. Analytics use cases would provide benefits that would improve operational efficiencies, proactive asset management and operational awareness among others.
The engineer in this position will:
- Connect with both teammates and customers
- Work with stakeholders to understand the information needs and translate these into technical solutions
Work closely with a team of Data Science and Data Analysts staff to take existing or new models and convert them into scalable analytical solutions
- Implement, maintain, and train peers on Application Lifecycle Management best practices
Includes implementation of MS Dev Ops Power Platform Solutions and ALM environments, workflows, and pipelines
- Mine data from disparate systems
Ability and desire to use statistical programming languages, preferably R or Python, and database querying languages like SQL as well as query data from NoSQL databases
- Find, join and utilize to new datasets
Possess the ability to hunt down opportunities to acquire new data from other systems so additional datasets can become information in further processing by data scientists
- Join geospatial datasets together from disparate systems
Ability to query and join geospatial datasets to allow data scientists and data analysts to use these datasets in machine learning and visualization capacities
- Provide recommendations and implement solutions to improve data reliability, efficiency, and quality
Design, build, and manage analytics infrastructure that can be utilized by data analysts, data scientists, and non-technical data consumers, which enables functions of the big data platform for Analytics
- Ensure the architecture that is in place supports the requirements of the data scientists and the stakeholders, the business
- Develop Applications
Ability to build and modify basic software applications to allow field personnel to make improvements quickly
- Work with business users to design and develop Microsoft Power Platform deliverables including Power BI reports, Power Apps applications, and similar for better decision making
- Perform reliability analysis and reporting to appropriate regulatory agencies
- Follow company safety and health guidelines and other company policies
- Perform other work as assigned
Education and Experience Requirements:
Requires a bachelor's degree in Electrical, Computer or related engineering degree from an ABET accredited program.
All qualified candidates who meet the minimum qualifications for the role will be considered. Preference will be given to experienced candidates with he ideal candidate having at least eight to twelve years of related experience mining data, joining SQL and NoSQL data, with geospatial query and joining capabilities, and business analysis skills to manage and manipulate complex data from a variety of sources.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities Required:
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the following skills:
- Experience implementing Microsoft ALM / DevOps solutions and lifecycles required, certification in such preferred
- Knowledge of applicable governing codes and regulations
- Basic knowledge of Transmission and Distribution equipment and systems
- Ability to participate constructively in work teams to facilitate and implement improvements to operations, maintenance and business practices
- Proficient use and understanding of computer applications and data systems including the direct acquisition and summarizing of data from various and diverse computer database systems throughout the company
- Working knowledge of SQL, including: Ability to write and optimize complex queries and joins, aggregation, indexes, and transactions
- Possess electrical system knowledge including a basic understanding of Electric Power System theory and experience in various operational aspects of an electric power Transmission and Distribution systems
- Ability to write and automate basic scripts for data manipulation and retrieval including CSV, JSON, XML data formats
- General understanding of APIs, command line, client server architecture, networks, and (S)FTP
- Prefer experience with GIS, including shapefiles, and spatial indexes
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to handle multiple priorities, meet strict deadlines and work well under pressure on individual and team related basis.
Licenses, Certifications, Bonding, and/or Testing Required:
Valid driver's license required.
Conditions will vary between office and field environments. Time will be spent in an office as well as the field environment with hands-on work. Travel will be required to support field personnel. Additional overnight travel may be required. Must have a satisfactory work record including good attendance. Work may require additional hours including evenings, nights, weekends and holidays.
Evergy has a clear mission – To empower a better future. Evergy chooses to live this mission by valuing People First. We know to accomplish becoming the most innovative and reliable energy company, we need a team with a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills. So, our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative of the communities we serve. We are committed to celebrating diversity and building a team where everyone – regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status – has a voice and can bring their best every day. We know that the more diverse and inclusive we are, the better we will be. Evergy is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer.