Assistant Store Manager
Fiesta MartFull time Full day
The Assistant Store Manager serves as the store's safety designee and the hiring manager in the store in addition to overseeing the front-end and managing certain staff assigned to the front-end. In addition, the Assistant Store Manager must be ready at any time to step into the Store Director's position. This readiness requires that the Assistant Store Manager perform, in partnership with the Store Director, the duties of the Store Director on a consistent basis.
PRIMARY JOB DUTIES
- Observe store conditions continuously for evidence of shrink, including spoilage, damage, poor inventory control, and theft; inform and coach department managers as to procedures to reduce shrink; ensure that proper security measures are in place; consult with loss prevention to decrease shrinkage in the store.
- Monitor conditions in store and assist department managers in taking remedial action when necessary to ensure company standards for cleanliness, presentation, and service are achieved. Ensure that efficiency procedures are being followed consistently in all departments; review checklists to ensure that processes are being monitored, coached, and enforced.
- Support and model safety in the store; set and communicate expectations with regard to working safely; continuously observe employee and management practices to ensure that safety is an important part of every employee's work. Ensure that new employees receive initial training in store safety and that department managers provide department-specific safety training to employees. Participate in conducting weekly department managers' meeting, specifically addressing safety in the store.
- Assist department managers in effectively merchandising products; assist in implementing action plans and merchandising plans for each department. Review each department to ensure that advertised sale items each week are available, priced correctly, and well-merchandised. Assist Store Director and department managers in preparations for quarterly inventory.
- Manage the hiring process, including posting or advertising open positions, initially assessing candidates' skills for open positions; coordinate with department managers to interview candidates; receive feedback and hiring recommendations from department managers; review department manager's recommendation with Store Manager and make hiring decision.
- Ensure that Personnel Coordinator performs necessary administrative work to hire candidate, including enrolling the new employee into orientation. Coordinate with Personnel Coordinator and department manager to ensure new employees receive a smooth entry into the store and department.
- Train front-end managers in the skills and knowledge necessary to supervise employees; regularly monitor supervision practices to ensure actions and behaviors are appropriate; coach as necessary. Monitor front-end service and assist front-end managers when necessary to ensure superior service levels; assist front-end manager in resolving customer complaints when necessary.
- Prepare schedules for direct reports; make work assignments and monitor to ensure performance of duties. Evaluate performance of staff periodically to recommend personnel actions such as retention, promotion, pay increase, transfer, reward or dismissal of employees. Investigate any personnel situations or policy violations that may have an adverse effect on store's operating performance or any situations that may require disciplinary action; dispense appropriate disciplinary action according to company's disciplinary policies; consult with Store Manager or Human Resources when appropriate.
- Review front-end schedules prepared by front-end managers and monitor staffing levels to ensure proper coverage; recommend adjustments based on experience and anticipation of service needs. Oversee and directly supervise other front-end employees—restock clerks, all maintenance workers, and truck drivers.
- Regularly review back door procedures to ensure proper security; consult with loss prevention on necessary actions to improve security in the back room and back door. Investigate any unusual or unauthorized activity in and around the store; enlist assistance from loss prevention.
- Enforce company policies and procedures in the store, including policies related to security, safety, and health standards. Ensure that all policies and procedures designed to protect the company's assets are followed at all times; communicate policies and expectations to employees; observe employee actions for compliance; take action as necessary to correct behavior.
- Assist the Store Director in preparing and achieving store operating budget; assist department managers in activities that drive profitability—effective merchandising to increase sales, controlling expenses, reducing shrink, and managing labor costs.
- Assist Store Director in guiding store activities and follow up to ensure proper performance.
- Communicate superior service standards and monitor to ensure that all store personnel are meeting expectations; observe employee interactions with customers and coach as necessary to achieve desired customer service levels.
- Oversee all sanitation, housekeeping, and store maintenance activities, including monitoring chemical and supply use.
Secondary Job Duties:
- Ensure all department associate adhere to company dress code standard (i.e. name tags, personal hygiene, etc.).
- Present favorable impression in dress, personal hygiene and business attitude.
- Notify management of associate theft, customer shoplifting, unauthorized mark downs or property defacement.
- Other duties as assigned by management.
- Must be twenty years of age
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Three to five years retail or merchandising experience.
- Valid driver's license and positive outcomes on annual Motor Vehicle Record Reports.
- Strong interpersonal/customer service skills.
- Ability to deal with problems as they arise, display initiative and work with limited supervision.
- Sales-oriented is a plus.
Never- 0%, Occasionally- 1-33%, Frequently- 34-66%, Continuously- 67-100%
- Occasionally-Sitting, carrying up to 50 lbs., pushing up to 150 lbs., lifting up to 50 lbs., pulling up to 150 lbs., climbing up to 6 foot height, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and smelling.
- Frequently- Bending, and reaching waist/overhead level.
- Continuously-Standing on tile/concrete, walking on tile/concrete, talking, seeing, hearing and manual dexterity.
Safety Risk Factors:
- Occasionally-Loud noise, slippery or cluttered floor surface, hazardous equipment, contact with sharp objects, contact with skin irritant, toxic exposure (see Material Safety Data Sheets), nuisance dust, fumes, sprays, and hazardous cleaning solutions.
- Frequently-Twisting of back and neck.
- Varied, irregular schedules.
- Working environment involves inside, outside, cold, heat, and wet/humidity.
This job is expired. Please use the search form to find active jobs or submit your resume.