Payment Account Specialist
The Emergency CenterFull time Full day
Job Summary: Under the supervision of the Revenue Cycle Manager, the Patient Account Specialist is responsible for representing The Emergency Center and its facilities as patient friendly, premier freestanding emergency centers. The Patient Account Specialist will be the embodiment of the clients mission, vision and values.
The Patient Account Specialist will help patients understand their insurance benefit and billing charges, help resolve questions or concerns in a courteous and timely manner, investigate billing problems, and assist with the collection process. The position will have a fundamental knowledge of billing and collection policies as well as options for researching and resolving issues. He/She will have knowledge of all aspects of the revenue cycle.
Job Type: Full-time; Non-Exempt
The Ideal Candidate: The ideal candidate will have a strong background in medical billing and financial counseling, with the skills necessary to improve current billing procedures and reduce A/R days. He/She will enjoy detail work, excellent written and verbal communication skills, and have impeccable ethics.
Company Info: Juniper Ridge RCM, LLC (A The Emergency Center Company) is a fresh new revenue cycle management company founded in 2019 that excels in the full cycle of medical billing including coding, billing, and collections on both the facility and professional side. Juniper Ridge was founded to address the growing need for data driven and innovative RCM.
Benefits: Medical, Dental, and Vision plans as well as options for supplemental benefits; Generous PTO benefit; 401k plan with company match
Summary of Duties:
- Enthusiastically accepts and endorses Juniper Ridges core values.
- Responds to patient inquiries regarding insurance benefits and billing charges.
- Works closely with payors regarding authorizations and notifications
- Understands and effectively explains insurance and billing terminology such as deductible, coinsurance, copay, EOBs etc.
- Resolves patient billing questions and concerns in a timely and compassionate manner.
- Provides outstanding customer service.
- Researches and prepares patient refund packets for approval.
- Accurately processes phone payments.
- Performs delinquent account counseling.
- Daily reviews all billing, i.e. CPT and ICD-10 coding, to ensure all revenue was recorded for accuracy.
- Demonstrates understanding of the entire revenue cycle.
- Identifies 60-day delinquent accounts via all available resources.
- Assists with collections by resubmitting claims to third-party payors and working with patients via telephone.
- Evaluates patient financial status, and establishes payment plans as approved by the Revenue Cycle Manager and/or Controller.
- Makes collection recommendations on patient accounts.
- Keeps management appraised of trends and changes necessary to improve the efficiency of the department.
- Researches data entry errors with the appropriate staff for prompt and accurate coding/billing.
- Provides feedback on billing policies and procedures to promote efficiency changes.
- Assists with updating billing audit tools
- May cover for the Medical Billing Specialist or the Medical Payment Poster when necessary.
- Helps maintain the accounts receivable database and review the data input for completeness and accuracy.
- Maintains 100% confidentiality and follows HIPAA guidelines and policies.
- Medical ER billing 2 years: Preferred
- CPT and ICD-9 / ICD-10 coding 2 years: Preferred
- Filing insurance claim appeals 2 years: Preferred
- Customer Service 2 years: Preferred
- Practice Management Software 2 years: Preferred
- Microsoft Word and Excel 2 years: Preferred
- Ability to manage relationships with Insurance payers
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills