Transportation Planner - Mid Level
IBI GroupFull time Full day
We are a global team of dedicated and experienced architects, engineers, planners, designers and technology professionals who share a common desire – to help our clients create livable, sustainable, and advanced urban environments.
From high-rises to industrial buildings, schools to state-of-the-art hospitals, transit stations to highways, airports to toll systems, bike lanes to parks, we design every aspect of a truly integrated city for people to live, work, and play.
Our collaborative and combined approach focuses not only on creating the best solutions today, but also determining the right solutions for tomorrow. We believe cities in the future must be designed with intelligent systems, sustainable buildings, efficient infrastructure, and a human touch.
At IBI, we’re defining the cities of tomorrow!
Here’s how we work:
The Irvine office is hiring a Transportation Planner to join our Transportation Planning team. IBI Group is a leader in providing professional services to clients resulting in sustainable regional and urban transportation systems that define the cities of tomorrow. IBI Group’s transportation planning practice in Southern California is helping cities, counties, regional agencies, transit agencies, and private developers throughout region and beyond to create places that are safe, comfortable, and convenient for people to travel by transit, on foot, or by bicycle. Our Irvine office collaborates extensively with our partner offices in Los Angeles and San Diego to deliver sustainable transportation planning solutions for clients across Southern California, and we are looking for a motivated and versatile transportation planner to join our team.
Some key projects our team has worked on are:
Fullerton Wilshire Avenue Bicycle Boulevard Feasibility Study
Oceanside Coast Highway Corridor Study
Los Angeles Metro Transit Supportive Planning Toolkit
Los Angeles Metro Purple Line First-Last Mile Planning
Yosemite National Park Mariposa Grove Visitor Shuttle Operating Plan
Most of what you'll work on:
The successful candidate’s responsibilities will span the scope of our transportation planning practice, and could include:
- Assisting the Project Manager on a variety of tasks, including reviewing relevant policies, performing technical analysis, writing reports, and preparing presentations for clients.
- Assisting on major transit/transportation studies, involving the need and justification for new transportation projects, analysis of alternatives, demand forecasting, transportation system/network planning and operations, transportation master plans, new mobility choices such as bike share or connected vehicles, and sustainable transportation.
- Planning, undertaking and analysis of major transportation data collection efforts.
- Interpreting and reporting on travel forecast results and plans, communication of findings to clients/stakeholders
- Participate on various project teams in Irvine, Los Angeles, San Diego, and other offices to coordinate and assist with the technical delivery of a wide variety of transportation projects including master planning and functional design for cycling, multi-use trail, and pedestrian facilities, transit planning, corridor planning, traffic impact studies, and parking studies.
- Preparing design concepts related to active transportation projects, traffic impact studies, parking and traffic calming studies, and traffic management plans.
- Integrating transportation planning and engineering to solve complex issues; working closely with traffic, natural, heritage, urban design and other disciplines to develop solutions.
- Performing technical analysis and report writing to support studies.
You'll need to have:
- A University Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Urban Planning, or a similar field; with a Masters degree in transportation engineering or planning preferred.
- 2 to 7 years of related transportation experience in the work environment.
- Experience with the transportation interactions with land use/urban design, the economy and environment.
- Ability to undertake complex technical analysis, using tools such as travel demand forecasting (e.g. EMME, TransCAD), micro-simulation (e.g. VISSIM, AIMSUN), GIS, Synchro, database, etc.
- Previous experience with and/or knowledge of AutoCAD or Microstation is a definite asset.
- Ability to plan, organize and coordinate work with project or study teams.
- Excellent analytical and decision-making skills, with a commitment to excellence and high quality work.
- Excellent report writing and verbal communication skills.
- Innovative and motivated individual willing to take initiative and interested in seeking solutions to complex problems in a team environment
Located on the 3rd floor of 18401 Von Karman Avenue, our office is in the Irvine Business Complex (IBC). It is within walking distance of John Wayne Airport and just a short drive to the beach or miles of hiking and biking trails. With Orange County’s beautiful weather, IBI Group has access to many outdoor entertainment and relaxation amenities from ping-pong tables to seating areas where you can soak up the California sun during lunch breaks. Our office is located just across the street from the only Ultra-Sport 24 Hour Fitness Center within Orange County where a discounted membership price is offered to those who work in the area. IBI Group Irvine office is conveniently located near three freeways, several shopping centers and many amazing restaurants.
Our employees enjoy our small office feel and all the perks of a big office support system. You’ll have direct access to management while benefitting from our enthusiastic and helpful organizational resources team. The floors are open concept and creative and represent our collaborative approach to projects. As a global architecture, engineering and technology design firm, IBI Group also has offices across the country, continent and world.”
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. IBI Group is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.