Senior Revenue Agent
Department Of The TreasuryFull time Full day
The Large Business and International (LB&I) business unit provides service and enforcement activities to support tax compliance of businesses and related entities with assets of $10 million or more, as well as small U.S. businesses engaged in international, U.S. citizens abroad, and foreign persons and businesses with a U.S. tax requirement.
See Other Information for Locations.
Learn more about this agency
WHAT DOES A SENIOR REVENUE AGENT DO? As a Senior Revenue Agent you will plan, conduct, and lead pre-filing and post-filing activities on the most complex business entities. You will initiate, plan, control, and execute all or parts of management initiated studies such as campaigns. You will serve as coach and mentor and will collaborate and coordinate with other experts, revenue agents, counsel, appeals, management, and industry to ensure emerging or strategic issues are identified. You will provide guidance on projects or programs and serve as an expert recommending changes to the tax code and the development of guidance and training. You will draft or review work projects involving emerging issues and areas of non-compliance. You will provide feedback to improve approaches to workload risk assessment.
As a Senior Revenue Agent you will:
- Maintain expertise through continuous learning activities needed to facilitate and coordinate the identification, development, and resolution of issues.
- Serve as an expert on technical issues by collaborating on the identification, risk assessment, development, and resolution of issues and develop technical content, training materials, and other resources to share knowledge, expand technical expertise, and ensure consistency and accountability in positions.
- Participate in project assignments, solving problems, identifying actionable events, meeting milestones and deadlines and time frames for completion.
- Prepare, present, communicate, and collaborate with appropriate internal and external stakeholders on technical guidance and new approaches to emerging or existing issues.
- Ensure that the organization's strategic plan, mission, vision, and values are communicated and integrated into the Practice Area and LB&I goals, work products, and services.
- Make recommendations for development of new tax laws affecting technical issues and ensure emerging or strategic issues are identified from all potential sources and effectively escalated.
- Provide advice and guidance to examiners and respond to requests for information, including answering inquiries in a prompt and responsive manner, following up with guidance provided, and collaborating with others.
- Monitors the applicable team members and reports on the status and progress of work; reviews work in progress and completed work to ensure that the guidance and instructions on work priorities, methods, deadlines and quality have been met.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
25% or less - 01 to 05 Travel Nights per Month
- Job family (Series)
0512 Internal Revenue Agent
Conditions of Employment
- Refer to Other Information
- Click "Print Preview" to review the entire announcement before applying.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National
- IRS Employees with Career or Career Conditional Appointments
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
BASIC REQUIREMENTS FOR ALL GRADES: A Bachelor's or higher degree in accounting from an accredited college or university that included at least 30 semester hours (45 quarter hours) in accounting or 24 semester hours in accounting and an additional 6 semester hours in related subjects such as business law, economics, statistical/quantitative methods, computerized accounting or financial systems, financial management or finance. OR
A combination of experience and education at an accredited college or university equivalent to a four year degree that included courses equivalent to a major in accounting, i.e. at least 30 semester hours in accounting or 24 semester hours in accounting and 6 semester hours in related subjects as described above. OR A Certificate as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) obtained through written examination in a State, territory or the District of Columbia. OR Are currently serving as an Internal Revenue Agent GS-0512 and have been in this position for at least one year or was previously an Internal Revenue Agent GS-0512 and held the position for at least one year. AND
You must possess the following professional accounting knowledge's: Principles of Accounting, Intermediate Accounting, Cost Accounting, Advanced Accounting, and Auditing. For more information on the required accounting knowledge's please refer to Internal Revenue Agent Basic Requirements
This knowledge is typically acquired by completion of an accounting degree from a four-year college or university. If not from an academic environment, the knowledge can also be obtained from certain work experience.
In addition to the above, you must meet the requirements described below:
GS-14 LEVEL: You must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-13 level in the Federal Service. Specialized experience for this position includes: Experience in progressively responsible and diversified professional accounting or auditing work that required applying professional accounting principles, theory, and practices to analyze and interpret accounting books, records, or systems specifically to determine their effect on Federal tax liabilities and their adequacy for recording transactions affecting tax liabilities; Interpreting and applying Federal tax law for individuals, business and/or exempt organizations, partnerships and corporations; Researching business and trade practices to develop tax issues based on analysis and evaluation of overall business operations and financial condition; Interpreting and analyzing the tax implications of corporate financial transactions and financial management principles and practices; Interacting with a broad range of individuals and negotiating with specialists in accounting, legal, tax, and other similar business related professions; Experience using knowledge of the Internal Revenue Code, regulations, rulings, court decisions, and agency policies to conduct extensive research of legal questions to be able to make decisions involving complex matters of the law and to develop and apply new resolution approaches; Analytical and evaluative techniques, both qualitative and quantitative, sufficient to gather, identify, evaluate, and develop work methods and approaches to resolve complex interrelated problems and issues; Using communicative techniques in order to deal tactfully and persuasively with sophisticated taxpayers and stakeholders, to explain complex interpretation of tax laws, regulations and resolve issues; and experience preparing technical reports and applying knowledge of tax laws and regulations relating to S Corporations such as: (IRC Sections 1361-1379) to coordinate and provide technical assistance to field, industries, headquarter functions and team members.
- The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector or Volunteer Service. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-timework is considered on a prorated basis.
- To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
In addition to the above requirements, you must meet the following, if applicable:
You must have been at the GS-13 level for 52 weeks (time-in-grade requirement).
Continued from Other information;
985 Michigan Ave, Detroit, MI (MI0800); 22600 Hall Rd, Ste 102, Clinton Township, MI (MI1942); 38275 West Twelve Mile Rd, Suite 200, Farmington Hills, MI (MI2097); 1270 Pontiac Rd, Pontiac, MI (MI2181); 3251 N Evergreen Dr NE, Grand Rapids, MI (MI2210); 3971 S Research Park Dr, Suite B, Ann Arbor, MI (MI2218); 917 N. Saginaw St, Flint, MI (MI3022); 1550 American Blvd East, Bloomington, MN (MN1675); 1122 Town and Country Commons, Chesterfield (Town and Country), MO (MO1833); 2850 NE Independence Ave, Lee's Summit, MO (MO2008); 7751 Brier Creek Pkwy, Ste 102, Raleigh, NC (NC1151); 10715 David Taylor Dr, Charlotte, NC (NC2598); 4905 Koger Blvd, Greensboro, NC (NC2668); 1616 Capitol Ave, Omaha, NE (NE0051); 200 Federal Plaza, Paterson, NJ (NJ0145); 200 Sheffield St, Mountainside, NJ (NJ4360); 101 Wood Ave S, Iselin, NJ (NJ4664); 100 Dey Pl, Edison, NJ (NJD001); 110 N City Pkwy, Las Vegas, NV (NV7516); 201 Varick St, New York, NY (NY0128); 26 Federal Plaza, New York, NY (NY0282); 11 A Clinton Ave, Albany, NY (NY0300); 290 Bwy - Foley Square, New York, NY (NY0350); 255 East Ave, Rochester, NY (NY7064); 130 South Elmwood Ave, Suite 100, Buffalo, NY (NY7340); 999 Stewart Ave, Bethpage, NY (NY7501); 550 Main St, Cincinnati, OH (OH0189); 200 N High St, Columbus, OH (OH0208); 6450 Rockside Woods Blvd S, Suite 300, Independence, OH (OH2320); 55 North Robinson, Oklahoma City, OK (OK1356); 1645 South 101st E. Ave, Tulsa, OK (OK1358); 1220 SW 3rd Ave, Portland, OR (OR0043); 1000 Liberty Ave, Pittsburgh, PA (PA0233); 600 Arch St, Philadelphia, PA (PA0277); 601 S. Henderson Rd, King Of Prussia, PA (PA0507); 2970 Market St, Philadelphia, PA (PA0809); City View Plaza, 48 Carr 165, Suite 2000, Guaynabo, PR (PR4001); 60 Quaker Ln, Warwick, RI (RI7085); 5333 Getwell Rd, Memphis, TN (TN0005); 801 Broadway, Nashville, TN (TN0052); 127 International Dr, Franklin, TN (TN2709); 300 E. Eighth St, Austin, TX (TX0227); 8701 S Gessner, Houston, TX (TX0297); 1919 Smith, Houston, TX (TX0298); 4050 Alpha Rd, Farmers Branch, TX (TX0302); 3651 S IH-35, Austin, TX (TX2038); 12941 I 45, Houston, TX (TX2298); 8626/8700 Tesoro Dr, San Antonio, TX (TX2559); 5450 Stratum Dr, Ste 150, Fort Worth, TX (TX2653); 12309 N Mopac Expwy, Austin, TX (TX2835); 324 25th St, Ogden, UT (UT0035); 2484 S Washington Blvd, Suite 200, Ogden, UT (UT1431); 105 23rd St, Ogden, UT (UT1434); 178 South Rio Grande St, Salt Lake City, UT (UT1522); 7980 Quantum Dr, Vienna, VA (VA0008); 400 North Eighth St, Richmond, VA (VA0088); 915 Second Ave, Seattle, WA (WA0101); N14 W24200 Tower Pl, Suite 202, Waukesha, WI (WI1696); 211 West Wisconsin Ave, Milwaukee, WI (WI1720)