BioNexus Foundation Principal Scientist, Bioinformatics
ATCCFull time Full day
Founded in 1925, ATCC is a non-profit organization with a mission to acquire, authenticate, preserve, develop, standardize, and distribute biological materials and information for the advancement and application of scientific knowledge.
The BioNexus Foundation Principal Scientist in Bioinformatics (BioNexus Principal Scientist, Bioinformatics) is responsible for developing an independent multidisciplinary program for accelerating the use of biomaterial-based digital information within ATCC and by our customers through the innovative application of new or existing knowledge bases and technologies. The BioNexus Principal Scientist, Bioinformatics, along with their staff, will develop, coordinate and execute strategies and tactics to evaluate technologies and approaches that synergize with and expand current ATCC biological data assets to bring transformative and/or disruptive information products and services to market. The incumbent will architect the overall biological information models for ATCC, including selection of and management of standardized vocabularies, ontologies, and computable knowledge bases with the goal of interoperability with outside resources using national standards. The incumbent will work cross-functionally with cell biology and microbiology R&D, Marketing, IT, Operations and other teams to both structure and represent the unique information and knowledge assets of ATCC and to create digital products that support ATCC's mission. The BioNexus Principal Scientist, Bioinformatics, will seek out, develop and maintain strong connections with external KOLs and business leaders that will enhance market sensing, technology development, technology transfer and innovation. The incumbent will also act as an internal thought leader and mentor in their area of expertise for the ATCC staff at large. The BioNexus Principal Scientist, Bioinformatics, will be responsible for managing, motivating, developing, evaluating and mentoring staff in alignment with ATCC performance management practices and for actively supporting, complying with and enforcing all ATCC corporate policies and procedures.
This position must work and think independently; duties of this position are to be completed under general administrative guidance. Decision making is a key component of this position, and decisions have a significant impact on the overall success of the organization. Functions are to be completed in a timely manner with acceptable quality.
Develops and executes an independent program to innovatively add and apply new bioinformatics capabilities and information products that can be incorporated into traditional product and services development activities. Develops roadmaps of bioinformatics technology application areas for adoption and integration with data and information assets. Working cross-functionally implements effective measurement systems to evaluate the impact of specific innovations in information products on other ATCC products, services or processes. Demonstrates leadership and sound judgement in recruiting, managing, and motivating staff and other resources to achieve goals. Responsible for delivery of goals per defined project plans. Serves as an interface between ATCC and external entities for innovation and technology sensing in bioinformatics. This may include collaborative projects. Partners and works effectively cross-functionally to ensure appropriate legal/licensing/business development issues are identified and mitigated. Develops and manages a research and development budget for bioinformatics. Communicates pertinent corporate and functional information to their team and ensures high quality, rigorous scientific and safety standards are upheld. Communicates issues to management appropriately and in a timely manner to ensure timelines, budget and goals are consistently met. Develops and implements workforce plans to ensure achievement of annual program and budget goals and objectives and maintenance of quality levels. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organizations' policies and applicable laws. Has authority either directly or through recommendations for employment decision to include selection, training, performance evaluations, counseling, promotions and terminations. Embraces the ATCC Mission, directives and corporate goals.
Education and Experience:
- Ph.D. in a relevant discipline with at least 12 years of relevant experience. Distinguished work history in the area of bioinformatics as it applies to biomaterials. Expertise in bioinformatics related to NGS highly preferred. Expertise in ontologies, knowledge modeling, and knowledge base development is desirable. Experience in development and use of methods for interpretation of gene sequence data and in biome data is desirable. Industry work experience is highly desirable. Demonstrated expertise in innovation and/or technology development in informatics is highly desirable. Five or more years of management experience is highly desirable. Experience building and maintaining internal cross-functional and external relationships is required. Experience working in a matrixed organization is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated expertise in bioinformatics and in bioinformation management of biomaterials.
- Demonstrated ability to think innovatively, creatively and strategically and to problem solve and exercise sound scientific and business judgment.
- Demonstrated ability in successfully applying innovative approaches within an organization.
- Demonstrated skill in planning, decision-making and risk mitigation.
- Demonstrated ability to translate customer needs into requirements and deliver end products that meet or exceed customer needs.
- Ability to influence without authority.
- Demonstrated skill in building internal and external relationships, communication and team building and dynamics.
- Embraces change and is results driven.
- Proven ability to effectively manage up and down, apply discretion, maintain confidences and demonstrate organizational savvy.
- Solid leadership, personnel management, coaching, delegating and evaluation skills.
ATCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any