Administrative Assistant/ Receptionist
Feeding San DiegoFull time Full day
Feeding San Diego comprises an ambitious team of individuals who believe that we can solve hunger in our community. We focus our daily work on the one in eight people facing hunger in San Diego County. Every day, we work hand-in-hand with partner agencies, local school districts, corporate partners, individual donors, and a network of volunteers to provide food and resources to our neighbors in need. At the same time, we protect the environment through the rescue of safe and wholesome food that would otherwise go to the landfill — simply because it is excess product, does not adhere to market standards or is approaching a best by or use by date. Together with our partners, Feeding San Diego provided over 26 million meals last year and served 63,000 children, families and seniors each week.
Feeding San Diego is dedicated to building a team that reflects the diverse county we serve, including those with varying backgrounds and life experiences. Applicants who strengthen our team through personal knowledge of poverty and food insecurity, as well as members of marginalized groups, are encouraged to apply.
The Administrative Assistant/ Receptionist position provides an excellent front of house experience and overall administrative support to the organization. The Administrative Assistant/ Receptionist is the initial point of contact for the general public and is responsible for representing the professional image of the organization to callers and visitors. This position is responsible for greeting and directing clients and visitors to the proper party in English and Spanish, receiving and transmitting messages, coordinating supply needs, data entry, maintaining an exceptional front of house experience, and various administrative projects as assigned.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The following duties and responsibilities are those considered to be essential but do not represent all job functions that may be required to be performed by this position.
- Maintain an exceptional front of house experience including the welcome center, volunteer break room, restrooms, and reception space. Ensure that these areas are neat, clean, and represent the professional, friendly, and hopeful image of the organization to visitors.
- Demonstrate a professional and engaging demeanor in all interactions with visitors, volunteers, Board members, donors, and partner representatives. Welcomes visitors, determines the nature of business and announces visitor to appropriate staff member.
- Answer and direct incoming calls to appropriate personnel; provide callers with information on the organization including address, directions or mailing of information packages; take and deliver messages; exemplify the organization values of respect, responsiveness and professionalism.
- Communicate and ensure adherence to safety and food safety expectations as appropriate with visitors.
- Open and sort all incoming mail and determining proper routing. Assist with processing mail by making copies, maintaining logs, ensuring accurate record keeping, and routing as required.
- Receive and support visitors in carrying in food drive donations.
- Coordinate emergency food box distribution for walk in visitors in need.
- Complete administrative projects to support Feeding San Diego operations as assigned by supervisor.
- Become proficient with postage machine and work with Finance to maintain it.
- Other duties as assigned.
The Administrative Assistant/ Receptionist will interact closely with visitors, volunteers, Board members, donors, and partner representatives. This position will also interact with all staff at Feeding San Diego.
EDUCATION/ YEARS EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
- Prior experience operating a multi-line telephone
- Two years professional experience in office administration with a focus on excellent customer service
Any combination of educational and work experience that would be equivalent to the stated minimum requirements would qualify for consideration of this position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Commitment to understanding and supporting FSD’s mission
- Compassion and appreciation for hunger issues
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proficient computer skills
- Highly organized and with the ability to handle multiple priorities and work independently under minimal supervision
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.