Network Security Internship
Verizon CommunicationsFull time Full day
What you'll be doing...
This internship position – which is part of the Verizon Campus Program – will give you a chance to channel your drive and enthusiasm while learning from the best minds in the industry. You'll be front and center, hands-on and contributing your creative energy to high-impact projects from the moment you arrive through the course of this 10-week experience. You will take part in meaningful work and real-life projects within the Global Network & Technology Organization that will help you grow both professionally and personally throughout the program.
As a Cyber Security Engineer intern for Verizon, you will get to see what Cyber Security professionals do to protect the Verizon network using sophisticated tools, instrumentation, and knowledge of network topology to monitor, evaluate, and manage risk. You will have the opportunity to assist in protecting Verizon's network by identifying current threats, mitigating vulnerabilities, and anticipating future cybersecurity challenges.
In this role, you may have the opportunity to assist Cyber Security professionals as they do the following work to support Verizon's customers:
- Using big data, analyze existing and future network & systems across Verizon, review security architectures, and develop engineering solutions that integrate information security requirements to proactively protect information
- Perform audit and security compliance checks, including network penetration testing, vulnerability scans, and other configuration analysis
- Conduct Computer Incident Response Team (CIRT) activities, including forensic analysis and review and assessment of security events and logs via sophisticated security/event management tools
- Implement and support network defense, identification/authentication/access control, data protection mechanisms, and data transfer mechanisms
- Develop threat models and security risk assessments, and recommend mitigations and countermeasures to address risks, vulnerabilities and threats.
- Develop, review, and validate security documentations
- Implement security designs in hardware, software, data and procedures
- Participate in infrastructure projects to develop, plan and implement specifications for network and distributed security technologies
What we're looking for...
You'll need to have:
- Current enrollment in a Bachelor's degree program in Cyber Security, Computer Science, Computer and Systems Engineering, Information Assurance/Systems/Networking, Mathematics, Electrical Engineering, Statistics, Computer Engineering or related major with an expected completion date by December 2020 to June 2022.
- Authorization to work in the U.S. without restrictions or need for future sponsorship.
Even better if you have:
- Demonstrated independent thinking, relationship management and attention to detail.
- Strong analytical, leadership and presentation skills.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively in a fast-moving, team environment.
- Knowledge of basic concepts in networking and software development with some hands-on experience preferred.
- Familiarity with machine-learning concepts.
- Experience with UNIX variant operating systems.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Strong commitment to continuous learning.
- Ability to break down complex problems into manageable parts.
- Ability to follow directions and work in a team environment.
- Ability to self-direct and manage individual projects.
- Ability to program using languages such as Python, Perl, Java, or C.
When you join Verizon...
You'll have the power to go beyond – doing the work that's transforming how people, businesses and things connect with each other. Not only do we provide the fastest and most reliable network for our customers, but we were first to 5G - a quantum leap in connectivity. Our connected solutions are making communities stronger and enabling energy efficiency. Here, you'll have the ability to make an impact and create positive change. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, join our team of the best and brightest. We offer great pay, amazing benefits and opportunity to learn and grow in every role. Together we'll go far.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.