Senior Scientist - Cell Immortalization
ATCCFull time Full day
Founded in 1925, ATCC is a non-profit organization with a mission to acquire, authenticate, preserve, develop, standardize, and distribute biological materials and information for the advancement and application of scientific knowledge.
The Senior Scientist in cell immortalization techniques is responsible for implementing R&D programs to develop cell biology products for life science researchers in academic, government, biotech and pharmaceutical institutions. The incumbent will be expected to identify and apply a variety of cell immortalization methods to generate novel products.
The Senior Scientist will define specifications for customer needs for new and improved technologies, reagents, cell lines, culture media and reagents, etc., that will enable or accelerate their research programs. This position will work closely with representatives from Manufacturing, Marketing, Sales, Business Development and others as needed on new product development projects and will participate in and/or lead cross-functional product development teams that are responsible for planning and implementing the development and commercialization of such products.
Performance will be evaluated with respect to the scientific merit, overall productivity and business impact of the development program, and on the ability to provide leadership and training to staff and colleagues. The incumbent will actively support, comply with and enforce all ATCC corporate and program policies and procedures.
Develop and implement cell immortalization methods that can be utilized to develop mammalian cell lines as value-added cell biology products for the research products market. Work in a cross-functional team to develop and characterize relevant advanced cell models that utilize immortalized and other mammalian cells. Manage activities efficiently and effectively to meet program timelines and performance requirements. Research and implement novel methods in the field of cell immortalization, anticipate technical risks and develop mitigation strategies. Ensure that projects are executed with full scientific rigor to deliver robust products and processes to manufacturing. Establish effective working relationships with members of cross-functional product development and product line strategy teams. Develop and manage program budgets. Stay current on new developments in cell immortalization methods relevant to ATCC. Monitor new product introductions of key market competitors, and recommend strategies to address observed opportunities and threats. Supervise and foster development of scientific, business and leadership skills in direct reports as assigned. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with ATCC policies and applicable laws as assigned. May have authority either directly or through recommendations for employment decision to include selection, training, performance evaluations, counseling, promotions and terminations. Perform other ancillary duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Ph.D. degree in life science field plus 5-8 yeas of relevant experience is required.
- A Bachelor's degree in a life science field plus 15-18 years of relevant experience or a Master's degree in a life science field and 13-16 years of relevant experience may be substituted for a Ph.D. degree.
- Industry experience is highly preferred.
- Experience in managing people and working with cross-functional teams is highly desirable.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong work ethic and an attitude of personal ownership and accountability for the success of a program.
- Sound judgment and problem solving skills in order to identify, evaluate and correct potential problems early.
- The ability to convey technical information effectively, provide strong scientific leadership and direction, and foster teamwork in support of business goals with people from multiple levels, departments and disciplines.
- The ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial environment that fosters innovative thinking, operational excellence, rapid new product commercialization, and appropriate risk taking behaviors.
- Excellent networking skills within the research community both internally and externally.
- The ability to lead by example and act as an agent of change when necessary.
- Must possess strong interpersonal and communication skills and be a proponent of continuous improvement.
- Deep knowledge and hands-on laboratory expertise in cell immortalization methods of primary cells (e.g. use of telomere/telomerase enhancement and cell cycle regulation in generation of these cells).
- Ability to validate the generated cells using molecular characterization methods and functional testing relevant to the cell type.
- Understanding of development and validation of advanced cell models and how the immortalized cells can be used as part of these models.
- Ability to identify business opportunities and relate research programs to the needs of the business.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong project planning skills.
ATCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any