Senior Software Engineer, Employee Financial Services
SquareFull time Full day
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
Much in the same way that Square revolutionized payments, Square Employee Financial Services is radically altering how employees get paid and build financial security. Operating as a unique product team within Square Payroll, our mission is to create meaningful financial wellness options for employees of Square merchants, through a portfolio of new financial services and other benefits. As an example of this, with our new On-Demand Pay offering, employees of Square merchants can access a portion of their earned wages before their regularly scheduled pay date.
Our team wants to transform the lives of people that make their living through our platform. We're a growing part of the Square ecosystem and are applying our position to build products and features that are beyond the capabilities of our competitors. You are product-minded, customer-focused, full-stack engineer who can help take world-changing ideas from prototype to launch.
As a Senior Software Engineer on the Payroll team, you will:
- Champion the needs of Square's small-business employee customer base, through customer empathy, iteration, and service ownership
- Write clean, testable, peer-reviewed code, which will be a model for the team around you
- Technically lead a diverse portfolio of full-stack engineering projects
- Oversee the design, development, and live operation of an increasingly distributed architecture
- Advocate for change in quality, durability, and technical debt reduction, working directly with Product Managers, Engineering Managers, and other partners
- Revitalize services and architectures which have outlasted their original implementations, through refactoring, migration, and scale-ready, distributed architectural design
- Safeguard the privacy, security, and trust of our customers' sensitive data throughout our implementations, in partnerships with our Risk and Information Security teams
- Unleash the velocity of our engineers and engineering systems with processes and implementations that allow us to ship quicker, fail faster, and isolate the blast radius of change pipelines
- A curious, passionate, growth-oriented mindset
- A desire to teach, improve, and otherwise force multiply the strengths of the engineers that surround you
- Experience leading impactful engineering projects at non-trivial scale
- Expertise in at least one major programming language. Don't worry if you don't know our stack (yet), because we'll teach you
- Software design experience with distributed architectures that have seen growth
- BA/BS degree and 5+ years of equivalent working experience
Bonus points if you also have:
- Familiarity with a major front-end framework
- Monitor and observability expertise
- Experience building and deploying to cloud infrastructure
Technologies We Use and Teach
- Ruby, Rails
- Ember, Glimmer, React
- SignalFX, DataDog
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible. Perks At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes: Healthcare coverage, Retirement Plans, Employee Stock Purchase Program, Meal reimbursements, Wellness perks, Paid parental leave, Flexible time off, Learning and Development resources
This job is expired. Please use the search form to find active jobs or submit your resume.