City of Albuquerque, NMFull time Full day
Care for, observe and maintain a variety of fish and aquatic life within the ABQ BioPark; use SCUBA and surface supplied air systems for in tank animal care and exhibit maintenance; provide responsible assistance to the Aquarium, Aquatic Conservation Facility (ACF), or other BioPark staff and perform a variety of tasks relative to the assigned area of responsibility.
Job descriptions are intended to present a general list of tasks/duties performed by employees within this job classification. Job Descriptions are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
Minimum Education, Experience And Additional Requirements
Education and experience directly related to the minimum requirements below may be interchangeable on a year for year basis.
Associate's degree from an accredited college or university in marine biology, or aquaculture; and
Two (2) years of experience in aquatic animal husbandry or aquatic hatchery operations.
Experience working in an Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA) accredited facility preferred.
Possession of a valid New Mexico Driver's License, or the ability to obtain by date of hire.
Possession of a City Operator's Permit (COP) within 6 months from date of hire.
Possession of an appropriate valid SCUBA diving certificate within (6) months from date of hire into position.
- Basic anatomy, physiology and behavior of animals
- Principles and practices of SCUBA diving
- Basic procedures of an aquarium or hatchery program
- Safe work practices utilized when working with fish and various aquatic life
Preferred Skills & Abilities
- Maintain and care for a variety of animals and plants within the assigned area
- Clean and maintain aquariums exhibits or fish growing facilities
- Prepare diets and feed fish according to established guidelines
- Observe, detect and identify unusual animal behaviors
- Maintain accurate records on animal behavior
- Respond to requests and inquiries from the general public
- Work independently in the absence of supervision
- Communicate clearly and concisely
- Perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work