Rail Fleet and Tank Truck Manager
Innophos Holdings IncFull time Full day
As the Rail Fleet Manager, this role manages and coordinates all logistical rail activities to ensure timely and cost effective movement of our products and rail fleet throughout the US, Canada and Mexico. The Manager will ensure that we are kept current on all maintenance requirements and are responsible for the planning and scheduling of all rail fleet maintenance. The Manager will also evaluate our current fleet size and recommend on and off hiring of the fleet to meet current and future demands of our business. The position will require that we maximize rail turns per year and minimize demurrage. In addition, this role is expected to identify and implement productivity and service improvement initiatives to support our strategic plans.
The Manager will also coordinate activities of our third party logistics providers for bulk tank truck deliveries in the US and Canada. This role:
- Is a very hands-on position that will require strong business acumen, excellent people skills, and an ability to improve processes on a continuous basis
- Requires management of strategic initiatives, understanding total cost of ownership, lead-time, and risk across the rail fleet
- Will coordinate rail activities with our plant personnel to ensure the most cost effective management of our fleet
- Manages fleet of over 550 leased and owned rail cars in the distribution of our product throughout the United States, Canada and Mexico
- Maintains Maintenance records and ensures compliance to Federal mandated compliance standards
- Schedules and coordinates rail car movements to various shops for regular and non-scheduled maintenance
- Supports relationships with rail car leasing companies
- Evaluates and approves all lease and repair billing
- Understand needs of our Sales Team and regularly update them on industry trends
- Evaluate opportunities and present proposals to improve lead times and reduce costs for new business opportunities
- Develop and trend a Customer Satisfaction index relating to all complaints, conduct root cause analysis, implement changes as required and ensure we maintain an environment of continuous improvement
- Plan and manage special projects as required
- Ensures that Innophos remains current regarding any new rail car legislation
- Develops and manages operating cost budgets and forecasts for rail cars
- Coordinates any regulatory rail car retrofit program
- Manages rail car expenses to plan, understands variances and is able to articulate deviations to Management Team
- Plans and conducts Network Optimization studies, articulates cost/benefit alternatives to all levels of management and implements network redesign as required
- Develop succession plan and assist in the identification and training of potential successors to the role
- Travel as required – up to 40%
Required Education and Experience
- Candidate must have a BS or BA degree in Logistics or related field
- Minimum of 10 years' experience in rail fleet management, preferably in a chemical environment familiar with liquid and bulk rail car movements
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Understanding of regulatory requirements for rail car maintenance
- Advanced analytical interpretation and problem solving skills
- Unimpeachable ethics
- Leadership: a demonstrated ability to lead people and get results through others
- Management: the ability to organize and manage multiple priorities
- Experience and proficiency with Excel, Access, Word, and other MS Office applications
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to communicate professionally with people at all levels of the organization and external contacts
- Solid decision making skills
- Ability to provide technical leadership, coupled with people and project management skills
- Business, communication, change management, and customer service skills
- Ability to manage complexity and ambiguity and resolve conflicts that arise from balancing multiple priorities.
Innophos is a leading international producer of specialty ingredient solutions that deliver far-reaching, versatile benefits for the food, health, nutrition and industrial markets. We leverage our expertise in the science and technology of blending and formulating phosphate, mineral and botanical based ingredients for our customers.
Our people are the heart of our organization and the foundation of our success. We are driven by our core values of safety, diversity, integrity and collaboration.
Headquartered in Cranbury, New Jersey, Innophos has manufacturing operations across the United States, in Canada, Mexico and China and sells into over 70 countries.
Equal Opportunity Employer, including disabled and veterans.