Math Instructional Specialist
Friendship SchoolsFull time Full day
Company : Campus Specifics
As Friendship's founding campus nestled on Capitol Hill, Chamberlain Elementary and Middle shines as a beacon of exceptional student achievement. A multiyear, top-performing Tier 1 campus, Chamberlain places students on a proven pathway to academic success.In an era where teacher-to-student ratios are increasingly more difficult to manage, Chamberlain places two teachers in each classroom to provide superior instruction. This approach affirms that each Chamberlain Elementary student in pre-K3-3 receive individually paced instruction instilling the knowledge, skills, success habits and character traits that lead to scholastic excellence for years to come.Consistent with Friendship's college preparatory approach, grades 4-8 at Chamberlain Middle follow a robust and culturally diverse curriculum that builds a mastery of core academic content, introduces prerequisites for Advanced Placement courses and nurtures students who will approach Friendship's high-performing high school environment with confidence.Praised as a wellspring of great teaching, Chamberlain is home to Friendship's 2015 and 2016 Teacher of the Year winners.
This position is for the 2020-2021 school year.
Friendship's leaders exceed expectations and take on a range of responsibilities in order to ensure every student achieves the academic skills, intellectual habits, and character traits necessary to succeed in the nation's top universities and beyond. With unwavering commitment, passion, and growth mindset, our leaders carry out our vision for quality and equitable education. Friendship leaders recognize the challenges faced in closing the opportunity gap, but persist in leading our children to academic gains through data driven, engaging instruction, and outstanding leadership. Applications are currently being accepted on a rolling basis for the 2014-2015 school year.
The Instructional Specialist is a critical lever in improving student achievement. The role of the Instructional Specialist is to improve student achievement by building teachers capacity and understanding of instructional practices. The specialist, in conjunction with the administration, is responsible for ensuring high-quality instruction in classrooms through modeling, co-planning, co-teaching and providing feedback to teachers. IS are expected to support the instructional development of content level teachers which means they will work with teachers in the content area. Specialists will bring a particular subject-area expertise; their focus is on improving instructional quality across all subject areas using an inter-discipline/trans-discipline approach. Specialists will create a schedule with their administration listing the teachers they work with on a rotational basis. Specialists will work with high will teachers in ensuring that they meet their performance management targets. Specialists will be required to build curriculum and support teachers in understanding the curriculum and writing it. They must have working knowledge of Understanding by Design, standards based learning and data analysis. Specialists should come with the ability to build strong relationships with teachers, administrator and other specialist. It is essential that all coaches work collaboratively and as a team. Specialists will be evaluated jointly by principals and the appropriate community office academic staff.
- Model lessons
- Co-plan lessons and units with teachers
- Co-teach lessons
- Provide real-time coaching
- Analyze data and run data talks
- Provide professional development for teachers, departments, grade levels and school
- Support teachers in setting goals and developing action plans for success
- Participate on the school leadership team
- Develop teacher comprehension of curriculum materials
- Support teachers with tracking student learning and record keeping
- Provide lesson plan support with targeted and specific feedback
- Provide targeted and specific observation feedback
- Assist teachers in identifying and acquiring resources
- Assist teachers with assessment development
- Support administrators with diagnosing school-wide problems and develop action plans for success r Support content departments with diagnosing problems and develop action plans for success
- Coach teacher leaders, department chairs and curriculum coordinators
- Develop curriculum for school, departments and grade levels
The ideal candidate for the Instructional Specialist will believe deeply in the Friendship mission and vision, and exemplify Friendship's core values. Successful candidates will have:
- Minimum of three years of successful teaching experience with a consistent record of extraordinary student outcomes
- Bachelor's Degree in the content area.
- Master's Degree preferred or currently enrolled in master's program
- A demonstrated track record of leadership and facilitation of adult learning
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Outstanding interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Goal and results-orientation
- Superior problem-solving and critical thinking skills
- Ability to thrive and succeed in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
Compensation and Benefits
- Friendship salaries are among the highest offered to teachers in Baton Rouge, LA and nationally
- Friendship offers its employees medical, dental, life, and disability insurance, among other additional benefits
- Friendship offers its employees a 403(b) retirement account with employer contributions
- Instructional Specialists are also supported with professional development training and resources, as well as a laptop
Friendship's policy is to provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, veteran status, status as a special disabled veteran, or any other protected criteria as established by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to recruitment and hiring, training, promotion, compensation, benefits, transfer, layoff, termination and all other terms and conditions of employment. Employment decisions at Friendship are based solely upon relevant criteria, including an individual's capabilities, qualifications, training, experience and suitability.