Kennel Technician: Anchorage Animal Care and Control
Denali Universal ServicesFull time Full day
Under the supervision of the Kennel Supervisor, employee will provide general care, cleaning, and feeding of animals housed at Anchorage Animal Care and Control (AACC). The employee will maintain cleanliness of all areas of the kennel department and the shelter facility and will assist customers with animal adoptions, relinquishments, and claims.
- Minimum age of 18
- High School Diploma or GED
- Ability to proficiently speak, read, understand and write English
- Animal Handling experience
- Customer Service experience
- Commercial housekeeping or janitorial experience
Animal Care and Handling
- Provide daily care for all animals to include feeding, watering, providing clean and safe housing and bathing as required
- Perform all animal care and handling responsibilities using humane procedures and restraint techniques for all animals regardless of breed, health, temperament, behavior, situations, or circumstances while using required personal protection equipment
- Display knowledge of animal behavior and body language in order to insure a safe environment for the animal, employee, staff, and public
- Report observed animal behavioral or medical concerns
- Operate animal handling safety equipment such as nets, catch poles, traps, etc.
- Implant microchips and administer vaccinations and medication under direction of DVM, CVT, or supervisor
- Provide animal enrichment and socialization
- Accept animals from the public (owner release & stray) and release animals to the public in a safe and courteous manner
- Verify animal identification using a microchip scanner
- Verify that necessary paperwork is completed and ensure that accurate paperwork and identification accompanies animals at all times
- Assist in euthanasia and animal disposal
- Perform daily inventory of animals in facility
- Be familiar with animals available for adoption and assist the public and volunteers with appropriate adoption choices in a safe, courteous, and responsive manner
- Provide information to the public and volunteers that promotes humane animal care and responsible pet ownership
- Assist the public with animal claims, relinquishments and lost and found procedures
- Interact and assist with the public and volunteers in a professional and courteous manner with the goal of promoting and advancing public relations benefitting AACC
- Represent Denali Universal Services (DUS) in a positive, courteous, and professional manner
Facility Cleaning and Maintenance
- Clean and disinfect cages, kennels, and all types of animal housing using cleaners and disinfectants with chemical agents per SDS guidelines
- Remove fecal matter from inside animal enclosures and from outdoor animal yard/enclosures
- Clean, maintain, and operate equipment in a manner that prevents disease transmission
- Load and operate equipment such as commercial dishwasher, washer, dryer, etc.
- Clean, sweep and mop facility floors; clean windows, walls, doors, exam tables, sinks, counter tops; empty and dispose of trash from inside and outside of facility; stock supplies and clean/maintain storage areas
- Willingness to perform others duties as required
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
- Dependability: Consistently adheres to operational standards, ensures smooth operations and positive customer experiences, builds a productive workplace, is reliable and improves team morale
- Independence: Works with little or no supervision
- Time Management: Manages time effectively when accomplishing tasks, projects, and goals
- Safety and Security: Promotes a safe work environment for co-workers and customers
- Commitment to Excellence: Identifies what needs to be completed and takes action to achieve a standard of excellence beyond job expectations
- Corporate Values: Understand, embraces, and integrates DUS corporate values into everyday duties and responsibilities
- Customer Service: Identifies and responds to current and future client needs by providing excellent service to internal and external customers
- Teamwork: Resourceful team player that builds, strengthens, and maintains collaborative relationships with others inside and outside the organization
Full-time regular employees have the opportunity to enroll in health insurance (medical/dental/vision), life insurance, 401k Retirement Plan, short-term disability and are provided access to our employee assistance program
Will be required to work in a noisy, odorous environment; may be frequently exposed to wet conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and moving mechanical parts. Will be required to work and handle animals in outside weather conditions. Will interact with the public in emotional and occasionally hostile situations. Will care for and handle animals who may display threatening behaviors in a safe, effective, and humane manner. Will be required to wear personal protection equipment while performing specific tasks. Will be required to work all shifts sometimes on short notice; wear a prescribed uniform and maintain a neat appearance.
Ability to use arms, hands and fingers, to handle, feel, and reach. Ability to clean and prepare floors and walls of kennels requiring the use of hoses, mops, squeegees and flexible-head scrub brushes. Ability to perform repetitive up/down and sideways scrubbing and motion utilizing hands, arms, shoulders, torso, legs and feet. Ability to work in a stooped, bent, or crouched position, repetitively and frequently. Mobility to kneel and crawl as situations required. Ability to stretch and reach for cleaning purposes areas such as tops of cages and shelves. Ability to walk and stand for long periods of time. Ability to lift, and move objects, weighing up to 50 pounds for short distances. Ability to walk, restrain, and handle, (utilizing leash, catch-pole, net or manual) different species of animals of all sizes. Flexing and twisting of the trunk, reaching and awkward postures are occasionally required while handling animals, assisting veterinarians and maintaining inventory. Applicant will be required to successfully complete a post-offer, pre-hire physical and Functional Capacity Exam.
It is Denali Universal Services' business philosophy and practice to provide reasonable accommodations, according to applicable state and federal laws, to all qualified individuals with physical or mental disabilities.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Denali Universal Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer. (Female/Minority/Disabled/Veteran)
This job is expired. Please use the search form to find active jobs or submit your resume.