Nursing Student Extern
Providence Health & ServicesFull time Full day
Providence is calling a Nursing Student Extern (Neonatal Intensive Care, Variable, 0.1 FTE) to Providence Alaska Medical Center in Anchorage, Alaska. We are a community of caregivers delivering every day on our Mission to provide compassionate care that is accessible for all - especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
In this position you will:
- Provide basic patient care under the direct supervision of the Registered Nurse.
- Communicate effectively with the health care team members regarding patient and family issues, as well as equipment issues.Communicate in a compassionate manner to patients, families, and visitors.
- Report changes in patient condition and problematic or unusual circumstances to the RN responsible for the patient's care or to their supervisor.
- Follow policies and procedures to promote patient safety. Maintain a safe environment for patients, families, and co-workers. Consistently demonstrate and incorporate principles of safety and infection control into practice.
- Maintain confidentiality of all patient information (electronic, written, and oral).
- Transport patients, lab specimens and blood products as needed.
- Check and restock supplies and equipment as instructed. Assist as needed to maintain clean operational equipment.
- NICU Specific:
- Run new IV fluids through new tubing after RN checks solution and tubing per policy.
- Prepare milk/formula under guidance of Infnat Nutrition Tech and/or Dietician.
- Instruct Parent Infant CPR classes
Required qualifications for this position include:
- Current enrollment in an NLN approved nursing program
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certification within 6 months of hire
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- Current enrollment in an NLN approved Bachelor of Science nursing program; has successfully completed, at a minimum, the 1st semester of clinicals
- Previous employment in a health care setting
- Sterile Technique course or training
- At least one year left in a nursing program.
About Providence Alaska Medical Center
Providence Health & Services Alaska is among nation's best employers for healthy lifestyles! The National Business Group on Health, a non-profit association of large U.S. employers, has honored Providence Alaska for its commitment and dedication to promoting a healthy workplace and encouraging our caregivers (employees) and families to support and maintain healthy lifestyles. Mountain-Pacific Quality Health has awarded Providence Alaska Medical Center with its Quality Achievement Award for high-quality care in the areas of heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia and surgical infection prevention. This is the highest honor awarded by Mountain-Pacific.
As the state's largest hospital, Providence Alaska Medical Center provides full-service, comprehensive care to all Alaskans, a role unmatched by any other in the state. Within our community, you will find top notch ski resorts, kayaking, and wildlife. Enjoying the outdoors is just one of many reasons to live in and explore Alaska!
This job is expired. Please use the search form to find active jobs or submit your resume.