Benefits Coordinator, The Guardianship Program(TGP) - NYC
Vera Institute of JusticeFull time Full day
Who we are
The Vera Institute of Justice, founded in 1961, envisions a society that respects the dignity of every person and safeguards justice for everyone. Vera is committed to securing equal justice, ending mass incarceration, and strengthening families and communities.
We drive change by:
- Studying problems that impede human dignity and justice.
- Piloting solutions that are at once transformative and achievable.
- Engaging diverse communities in informed debate.
- Harnessing the power of evidence to drive effective policy and practice.
We work with others who share our vision to tackle the most pressing injustices of our day—from mass incarceration, racial disparities, and the loss of public trust in law enforcement to the unmet needs of the vulnerable, the marginalized, and those harmed by crime and violence. Vera has offices in New York City, Washington, DC, Los Angeles, and New Orleans. Vera is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity in the workplace—specifically, we value diverse experiences with regard to educational background and justice system contact. We hire employees that reflect our values: respect, independence, collaboration, and commitment.
You can expect to work with a team of amazing people who have tenacity, are creative, scrappy, and are committed to getting the work done. Why? Because our work is urgent, impactful, and more important than ever.
You will have great benefits, and work-life balance. Driving meaningful change is hard work. But we also know that you have a life, places to go, and people to see.
What you'll do:
As a Benefits Coordinator, you will report directly to the Director of Benefits and Case Management. The Benefits Coordinator will work as part of a team of professionals providing effective services and advocacy to ensure clients' well-being, safety, and the greatest degree of independence possible. Specifically, the Benefits Coordinator will manage the administration of public benefits for TGP(The Guardianship Project) clients.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Evaluate client needs and eligibility for public and private benefits and other applicable agreement programs and apply for and maintain benefits for clients including Medicaid, SCRIE, SNAP, SSI, Access-A-Ride, and more.
- Work closely with case management, legal, and client finance staff to collect necessary information and proper documentation for initial and renewal applications for benefit programs, and submit applications to the appropriate agencies via fax, email, or in person.
- Maintain robust documentation of all work in TGP's Benefits Tracking Tool including completion and submission of applications, due dates and enrollment periods, award and rejection notifications, and time spent.
- Keep in constant communication with the government agencies and facilities where clients reside on the status of applications via email, phone, or in person, and conduct follow-up to ensure clients receive the correct amount of monthly benefits in a timely manner, and help to resolve cases in which this has not occurred.
- Inform client teams on matters relating to their clients' benefits and report regularly on progress and results to the Deputy Director of Benefits and Case Management.
- Request nursing home budgets for new clients and set up automatic monthly income payments.
- Bachelor's degree in social work or another related field and 3 years' experience in a similar role
- Familiarity with public and private benefits available in NYC; experience applying for and maintaining benefits strongly preferred
- Ability to work with a diverse and challenging population
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail
- Creativity, flexibility, patience, and follow-through
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Demonstrated interest in social justice for underserving populations is preferred
- Experience working with seniors and/or people living with disabilities preferred
The Nitty - Gritty
- The location for this position is Brooklyn, NY.
- Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
How to apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter. Online submission in PDF format is preferred.
However, if necessary, materials may be mailed or faxed to
ATTN: Human Resources / TGP -Benefits Coordinator
Vera Institute of Justice
34 35th St, Suite 4-2A
Brooklyn, NY 11232
Fax: (212) 941-9407
Please use only one method (online, mail or fax) of submission.
No phone calls, please. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
Vera is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, prior record of arrest or conviction, citizenship status or current employment status.
Vera works to advance justice, particularly racial justice, in an increasingly multicultural country and globally
connected world. We value diverse experiences, including with regard to educational background and justice system contact, and depend on a diverse staff to carry out our mission.
For more information about Vera and our work, please visit http://www.vera.org
This job is expired. Please use the search form to find active jobs or submit your resume.