Laboratory Technician III - Molecular Diagnostics - FT
University of Mississippi Medical CenterFull time Full day
We want to ensure that the application process is smooth and efficient and recommend the following tips:
- Prior to applying, please provide all of your applicable experience and education relevant to the job requirements.
- Once you start the application process you cannot save your work. Please ensure you have all required attachment(s) available to complete your application before you begin the process.
- Applications must be submitted prior to the close of the recruitment. Once a recruitment has closed, applications will no longer be accepted.
- All online assessments are completed online. After you submit an application, if an assessment is required, an email with instructions to complete the assessment will be sent to you. In the event you need access to a computer, please consider visiting the WIN Job Center or your local library.
Once you apply, we will review your qualifications and contact you if we would like to discuss your application.
Due to the large volume of applications that we receive, we are unable to personally respond to all applicants. Please feel free to check the status of your application via your Candidate Profile.
Important Applications Instructions:
Please complete this application in entirety by providing all of your work experience, education and certifications/
license. You will be unable to edit/add/change your application once it is submitted.
Job Requisition ID:
University Hospital Health System
Toxicology, Flow Cytometry, Cytogenetics, and Molecular Diagnostics
Main Campus Jackson
Laboratory Technician III - Molecular Diagnostics - FT
To perform routine assigned tasks involving specimen processing, preparation of specimens for analysis. To produce reports for quality monitoring of the area, turnaround times, expected list, specimen tracking and to take action on data to prevent errors, loss of specimens, loss of integrity, etc. To clean, disinfect, and maintain classrooms and equipment. To provide training and guidance to lower level employees.
Education & Experience
Bachelor's degree, or Associate's degree and a year of related experience, or High School Diploma/GED and three years of related experience.
Certifications, Licenses or Registration Required: N/A
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Knowledge of procedures, protocols, and preparation and storage techniques within specimen processing area. Knowledge of cleaning and maintenance specifications for laboratory and/or medical equipment and materials. Skill in providing guidance and instruction in processing, automation line, basic laboratory equipment, clerical tasks, necessary computer functions and safety procedures. Ability to set up, calibrate, operate, and maintain standard laboratory equipment. Ability to promote and maintain quality, safety, and/or infection control practices and methods.
- Prepares specimens for testing or reference lab. Processes specimens, accurately labels, correctly stores patient specimens according to established procedures. If specifically trained, assists with bone marrow aspirations and slide preparation. Exercises care necessary to complete work accurately and appreciates serious job nature and impact on patient care and treatment.
- Operates equipment needed to perform duties such as centrifuge, tube system, automation line, monitoring systems for refrigerators and freezers, computers using assigned programs, and automobile if specifically trained in courier functions.
- Performs equipment maintenance and basic service. Documents maintenance and temperature checks. Maintains accurate records of duties. Performs necessary duties for cap accreditation as requested. Follows safety guidelines in operation of equipment and properly uses equipment.
- Cleans laboratory facilities and equipment. Breaks down and stores supplies. Maintains department supply inventory as assigned. Orders supplies for multiple sites. Stocks supplies for all stations and other areas/carts as requested.
- Produces daily and periodic reports from epic and other software systems as assigned. Make necessary adjustments based on reports, conduct investigations based on findings and report to supervisor. Investigate i-care reports as assigned. Maintains appropriate departmental records and filing systems to comply with regulatory requirements.
- Promotes workplace safety, environmental, and infection control practices and methods. Trains and mentors other staff and students.
- The duties listed are general in nature and are examples of the duties and responsibilities performed and are not meant to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Management retains the right to add or change duties at any time.
Physical and Environmental Demands
Requires frequent exposure to unpleasant or disagreeable physical environment such as high noise level and exposure to heat and cold, occasional handling or working with potentially dangerous equipment, constant exposure to biohazardous conditions such as risk of radiation exposure, blood borne pathogens, fumes or airborne particles, and/or toxic or caustic chemicals which mandate attention to safety considerations, occasional working hours significantly beyond regularly scheduled hours, occasional travelling to offsite locations, occasional activities subject to significant volume changes of a seasonal/clinical nature, constant work produced subject to precise measures of quantity and quality, occasional bending, occasional lifting and carrying up to 50 pounds, occasional climbing, occasional crawling, occasional crouching/stooping, occasional driving, occasional kneeling, occasional pushing/pulling, occasional reaching, frequent sitting, constant standing, occasional twisting, and constant walking. (occasional-up to 20%, frequent-from 21% to 50%, constant-51% or more)
FLSA Designation/Job Exempt:
Job Posting Date:
Job Closing Date (open until filled if no date specified):