Veeco Instruments Inc.Full time Full day
Making a Material Difference is at the core of our DNA. For more than 30 years, we have developed differentiated technologies and built expertise and know-how that has enabled world-changing devices such as LED lighting, data storage, advanced computing and mobile devices to reach industrial scale. We help customers overcome technical and cost barriers that make it possible to convert novel materials into high-yielding device performance at production volumes. Our customers produce the newest, fastest, smallest, and most efficient electronic components used in devices to help deliver a better world.
We serve the semiconductor and emerging high-growth markets. Our process equipment and technology are used to manufacture advanced semiconductors, LEDs, displays, photonics, VCSELs, power electronics, compound semiconductors, hard disk drives, MEMS and wireless chips.
Veeco Instruments is currently seeking a Director, Materials, to join our world-class Global Operations in Somerset, NJ. This position reports to the Vice President of Global Operations and serves as a key member of the Operations management team. This position is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of the materials and logistics team. This is a demanding role that requires strategic planning, superb execution in a fast-paced challenging environment, and exceptional leadership skills for organizational development. The successful candidate will be responsible for the materials management, production planning, procurement, and warehouse operations functions for a variety of manufacturing scenarios – complex capital equipment, refurbishment and configuration of complex equipment, run rate business, global service and spare parts, etc. The successful candidate can manage numerous complex priorities simultaneously, with a "hands on" approach and style.
- Plans, organizes, directs, controls, coordinates and implements strategy related to inventory control, and planning/scheduling/ procurement functions to ensure timely completion and support of the Master Production Schedule (MPS) and site inventory plans
- Organizes, supervises, and directs the work of, production planners, direct materials purchasing, warehouse personnel and the master scheduler
- Develops, prepares and improves processes, procedures, and instructions regarding planning, direct material purchasing and warehousing systems and procedures. Ensures that outsourced assemblies and component materials are available to support the MPS and spare parts sales orders
- Oversees the process which identifies and communicates parts/material status including shortages - resolves material problems to minimize downtime and operational delays
- Drives continuous improvement. Identifies, plans and executes major improvement projects - develops and conducts training on proper procedures, as required
- Observes team members to ensure compliance to Veeco procedures, safety protocols, and SOX requirements
- Prepares inventory forecast, based on MPS plans, with global oversight of inventory for multiple product lines - understands the financial impact of decisions on the business
- Handles Excess & Obsolete analysis, forecast, and financial reserve recommendations. Looks for and implements productivity improvements and material cost reductions
- Tracks, analyzes, and develops action plans for Materials department metrics, such as IRA, OTD, Fill Rates, Stock Outs/Zero Bin, MRB cycle time, Cycle Count Accuracy, etc.
- Develops plan and is responsible for oversight on inventory cycle counts
Bachelor's degree in Business, Industrial Engineering, Logistics Management or related area is required. A minimum of 12 years of planning and logistics experience is required as is experience leading and developing a high-performing team. Experience in a low volume manufacturing environment is a must. Accreditations such as APICS certification in Supply Chain Management, or Detailed Scheduling and Planning, or CPIM preferred. Experience with materials management using SAP as the ERP platform is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Demonstrates outstanding leadership skills in the development of the team through assessment, recruiting, coaching, mentoring, and building credibility cross-functionally across Veeco
- Sound quality practices and understanding in ISO-9000, Lean Manufacturing, 5S, and Six Sigma is desirable
- Global supply chain and contract manufacturing experience is highly preferred
- Must be a dynamic leader who possesses the essential characteristics of a "can-do" attitude, integrity, competitiveness, accountability, creativity, and teamwork
- Will inspire others by creating, articulating and implementing a vision for the Materials team
- Knowledge of Quality Management Techniques like Value Stream Mapping, Six Sigma, 8D, etc.
- Experience with Warehouse Management, and Shop floor control highly desired
- This position requires <10% domestic and international travel </span>
Veeco is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.