Supervisor, Hospice After Hours, NP
Visiting Nurse Service of New YorkFull time Full day
Responsible for providing continuity of care to all Hospice patients and their families after normal operating hours. Responds to incoming calls from patients/families/caregivers, assesses and addresses needs within context of patient's Interdisciplinary Plan of Care and Hospice Care mission, objectives, policies and procedures. Documents and reports to team patient's needs, significant events, plan of care and other issues. Evaluates effectiveness of clinical directions. Works under general supervision.
- Assesses the physical, emotional and medical needs of hospice patients and their caregivers through after hours telephone consult.
- Provides support and direction to families in accordance with the patient's Interdisciplinary Plan of Care and Hospice Care mission, objectives, policies and procedures.
- Takes referral information and triages for immediate response, dispatches the on call nurse to do the evaluation/ admission.
- Contacts Physician for verification of prognosis and appropriateness for Hospice/Palliative care. Contacts and interface with team members, primary physician, team physician, administrator and other staff to ensure patient's and family's needs are met.
- Obtains and reviews daily report from each team on significant patient care situations that may require contact/follow-up during course of shift. Documents all calls received using high degree of accuracy and detail to ensure team/physician is provided with all relevant and necessary information. Completes case conference form on all calls received and faxes to respective team.
- Supervises on-call Nurses. Monitors/evaluates performance, provides guidance, recommends hiring and termination, as needed. Determines/Deploys on-call Nurse for home visits, provides necessary information and follows-up regarding status of visit and to obtain necessary report.
- Reviews new referrals with the Interdisciplinary Team to help determine suitability and eligibility for admission based on the admission criteria of the program and policies.