Senior Software Engineer
Project CallistoFull time Full day
Callisto is a San Francisco-based nonprofit organization that creates technology to combat sexual assault, empower survivors, and advance justice. Specifically, we create websites that make it easier for sexual assault survivors to report and name their assailant and enable the detection of repeat sexual offenders. We also connect survivors to attorneys who advise them on their options to seek justice. We are funded by earned revenue from partner institutions and by philanthropic supporters, including Google.org, Y Combinator, Greylock Partners, and the Skoll Foundation.
We are a rapidly growing and powerful team, united in the belief that we can create a more safe and just world.
About the Position:
We are looking for talented and passionate engineers to join our Product Team and be part of working towards our mission. As a Senior Software Engineer at Callisto, you will join a fast-paced, non-profit tech startup to implement and support first-class technical infrastructure in order to solve a complex problem in the social justice, data security, and legal space.
- Work closely with the Engineering and Design Team to innovate highly impactful products for survivors of sexual assault
- Architect and deliver secure, user-friendly and accessible products
- Execute Callisto's data security and advanced cryptography strategy
- Debug and troubleshoot problems in complex systems
- Participate in product team activities, such as daily standups, user-centric product design, QA work, and project management
- Help create a world where sexual violence is rare and survivors are supported
Skills and Experience
- 5+ years of experience building and supporting production quality software
- High proficiency programming in front-end tools such as ReactJS or AngularJS
- Highly skilled in back-end tools such as NodeJS, Postgres and Typescript
- Proven experience with cryptography, security protocols and key management
- Experience in building and shipping products with a data security focus
- Experience owning projects from end-to-end
- Working knowledge of relational databases and Git
- Experience working in cross-functional product development teams
- Comfortable working with a geographically-distributed software development team
What to Expect at Callisto:
We bring the best of many different industries together, including engineers, designers, educators, and legal experts. We've crafted a culture that balances ambitious world change with team sustainability and self-care. We are thoughtful, rigorous, inclusive, humble, kind, direct, creative, agile, entrepreneurial, and mission-driven. We don't take ourselves too seriously, but take the work very seriously. And amazingly, despite the sobering realities of the problem we're trying to solve, we have a ton of fun. We identify and solve problems as a team of experts, working together to bring about our vision for the world.
Callisto offers competitive salaries, a 401k, paid leave, and medical, dental, and vision insurance. Members of the Callisto team receive a generous professional development budget. Callisto has a flexible work-from-home policy and work hours, letting you work where and when you can perform at your best.
Our Mission & Vision
Our vision is a world where sexual assault is rare and survivors are supported. Our mission is to create technology that combats sexual assault, supports survivors, and advances justice.
Callisto is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.