Wholesale Electricity Market Analyst
California ISOFull time Full day
The California Independent System Operator (ISO) manages the flow of electricity across the high-voltage, long-distance power lines that make up 80 percent of California's power grid. We safeguard the economy and well-being of 30 million Californians by "keeping the lights on" 24/7.
As the impartial grid operator, the California ISO opens access to the wholesale power market that is designed to diversify resources and lower prices. It also grants equal access to 25,865 circuit-miles of power lines and reduces barriers to diverse resources competing to bring power to customers.
The California ISO's function is often compared to that of air traffic controllers. It would be grossly unfair for air traffic controllers to represent one airline and profit from allowing that company's planes to go through before others. In the same way, the California ISO operates independently—managing the electron traffic on a power grid we do not own—making sure electricity is safely delivered to utilities and consumers on time and reliably.
Under the general direction of the Manager, works on complex mathematical and market analytical assignments. Provides technical expertise to other departments and external entities related to price validation, electricity market applications, and power systems operations. Supports the department to ensure software business rules comply with the ISO Tariff and FERC requirements.
What's In it for You
Our purpose is to lead the way to tomorrow's energy network. Make a difference and impact millions of people who depend on electricity in their everyday lives.
- You get to work on interesting and challenging assignments that will help grow your skill set.
- You will work in an extremely collaborative environment inside our LEED certified Folsom, California campus.
- You will be challenged, be a part of a winning team, and your contributions will be rewarded and recognized.
What You Will Be Doing
- Performs mathematical and economics analysis of market software and power systems applications results to determine validity of prices and congestion, and optimality of solutions with respect to the market model, incurred cost and impact on reliability of the power system grid.
- Supports the validation and testing of market outcomes to address market participant’s disputes or inquiries, assists in the evaluation of problems and their alternative courses of action.
- Performs duties needed to supplement the design of market operations software, processes, and policies, provides technical expertise related to cost optimization technologies, market clearing economic principles, transmission system, resource operating characteristics, and price analysis.
- Assists in identifying and resolving implementation, design and integration-related problems or potential problems within assigned areas, and may propose solutions to such issues. Demonstrates an understanding of policy issues and related matters.
- May participate in market design and development efforts to identify new measures necessary to validate market results and leverage opportunity for incorporating features that will improve market solution quality. May develop business procedures and methods as needed.
Level of Education and Discipline
- Bachelor's degree (BA, BS) or equivalent education, training or experience in Engineering with a Power Systems focus, Operation Research, Economics, Finance, or related field. Master Degree preferred
Amount of Experience
- Equivalent years of education and training, plus two (2) or more year related experience.
Type of Experience
- A combination of experience in any of the following disciplines required:
- utility/power industry
- preferably in a similar ISO
- system analysis
- operations research
- regulatory and/or economic analysis
- data analysis
- real-time applications development.
- Experience in the design, development or implementation of computational methods of market models.
- Exposure and experience with applied optimization principles and techniques, power system operations and market design.
Additional skills and abilities
- Ability to think technically and provide practical and feasible solutions to problems keeping multiple conflicting considerations into account.
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment as facilitator and team member.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and writing skills.
- Strong mathematical analytical skills are required, including the ability to effectively communicate complex technical and mathematical materials and concepts.
- Must be able to handle a dynamic and changing work environment, and work independently with minimal supervision.
**We will also consider applicants for an Associate Wholesale Electricity Market Analyst position. This position requires a Bachelor's degree in Engineering with a Power Systems focus, Operation Research, Economics, Finance, or related field. Master’s degree preferred. This is an entry level position. No experience required. **
This job is expired. Please use the search form to find active jobs or submit your resume.