Sr Interconnection Specialist
California ISOFull time Full day
The California Independent System Operator (ISO) manages the flow of electricity across the high-voltage, long-distance power lines that make up 80 percent of California's power grid. We safeguard the economy and well-being of 30 million Californians by "keeping the lights on" 24/7.
As the impartial grid operator, the California ISO opens access to the wholesale power market that is designed to diversify resources and lower prices. It also grants equal access to 25,865 circuit-miles of power lines and reduces barriers to diverse resources competing to bring power to customers.
The California ISO's function is often compared to that of air traffic controllers. It would be grossly unfair for air traffic controllers to represent one airline and profit from allowing that company's planes to go through before others. In the same way, the California ISO operates independently—managing the electron traffic on a power grid we do not own—making sure electricity is safely delivered to utilities and consumers on time and reliably.
Under the general direction of the Manager, responsible for assigned generator interconnection projects seeking to interconnect to the ISO controlled grid. Manage all assigned projects in a manner consistent with the Generator Interconnection and Deliverability Allocation Procedures (GIDAP) tariff, ensuring that that the ISO, the participating transmission owner and the project sponsor(s) are following all aspects of the GIDAP tariff, providing correct and consistent tariff interpretation as appropriate. Other activities include the collection, review and distribution of interconnection related information and tracking project progress utilizing the ISO Resource Interconnection Management System (RIMS). Participate in GIDAP policy and tariff enhancements and internal procedure development. Independently identifies and resolves complex issues or obstacles, and able to articulate complex issues effectively. Provide support to other staff related to the process.
What's In it for You
Our purpose is to lead the way to tomorrow's energy network. Make a difference and impact millions of people who depend on electricity in their everyday lives.
- You get to work on interesting and challenging assignments that will help grow your skill set.
- You will work in an extremely collaborative environment inside our LEED certified Folsom, California campus.
- You will be challenged, be a part of a winning team, and your contributions will be rewarded and recognized.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Manages the processing of FERC jurisdiction generator interconnection requests under the ISO GIDAP tariff, managing all assigned projects in a manner consistent with the GIDAP, ensuring that that the ISO, the participating transmission owner and the project sponsor(s) are following all aspects of the GIDAP, and providing correct and consistent tariff interpretation as appropriate. Processes, validates and tracks generator interconnection applications in accordance with tariff requirements. Tracks all projects assigned and anticipates, identifies and resolves complex issues or obstacles, ensuring that all required GIDAP tariff requirements are being met (timelines, deposits, financial security deposits, data requirements, forms, withdrawals, etc.). Informs management and legal as necessary of any tariff related issue and proposes remediation steps to correct the issues.
- Serves as a primary point of contact for assigned projects, resolving issues between the ISO, interconnection customers, and transmission owners. Maintain regular communication with interconnection customers and other stakeholders, keeping them up to date on required milestones and project status, and provide guidance to active and potential interconnection customers on interconnection procedures. Schedules, and leads project scoping and results meetings as required, developing agendas and keeping and distributing accurate minutes.
- Serves as a subject matter expert and provides timely responses to inquiries concerning the ISO Tariff Section 25, Appendix DD, and S, T, U, V, W, Y Z as necessary, and associated business process manuals. Takes initiative to identify and recommend improvements to the ISO Tariff, business process manuals, and internal procedures..
- Prepares and present project related reports and presentations for ISO management and external stakeholders. Provides management with timely project updates and progress reports, including any issues and challenges, and proposed solutions.
- Responsible for accurately tracking generator projects and accurately maintaining the content of the ISO Resource Interconnection Management System.
- Oversees work performed by Associate level staff and contractors as directed by manager.
- Monitors ISO stakeholder issues and concerns, and new generator technology and industry trends related to ISO generator interconnection practices and procedures. Anticipates and recommends development and/or modifications of ISO practices and procedures as may be appropriate based on sound research into industry trends and recent FERC rulings.
- Responsible for validating, processing, tracking, and overseeing generation interconnection applications and study agreements in accordance with the GIDAP tariff, business practice manual and ISO internal procedure.
- Maintains records of all interconnection customer correspondence.
Level of Education and Discipline
- A Bachelor's degree (BA, BS) or equivalent education, training or experience in Engineering, Project Management, Business or related field.
- Master Degree preferred.
Amount of Experience
- Equivalent years of education and training, plus five (5) or more years related experience.
Type of Experience
- Experience in interconnection of generation projects and transmission facilities.
- Experience in project management where multiple projects were managed at the same time, obtaining results through a project team, preferably in the electric utility industry.
- Experience with implementing tariff procedures/requirements and interpreting tariff language.
- Proven general customer service experience and abilities and in guiding customers through tariff procedures/requirements.
- Proven ability to identify, communicate and resolves complex issues effectively.
- Proven ability to create and implement tracking procedures and streamline processing techniques is desirable.
Additional skills and abilities
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment as facilitator and team member.
- Excellent analytical, verbal and written communication and documentation skills required, with a demonstrated attention to detail.
- Ability to use deductive reasoning and analytical thinking with sound judgment and decision-making skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills are also essential.
- Must be self-starting and willing and able to work independently in a dynamic corporate organization under pressure of tight deadlines and aggressive expectations.
- Self-motivated, problem solving skills and the ability to influence others without direct authority.
**We will also consider applicants for an Interconnection Specialist position. This position requires a Bachelor's degree or equivalent education, training or experience in Engineering, Project Management, Business or related field and two (2) years of experience. Master's degree preferred.**