Lead Cardiac Sonographer - Noninvasive Cardiac Testing, Full-Time, Days
Northwestern MedicineFull time Full day
At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
The Lead Cardiac Sonographer reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization's Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
The Lead Cardiac Sonographer functions as an echocardiography technologist under the administrative direction of the Resource Coordinator of echocardiography department. The sonographer is responsible for learning all the commonly performed echocardiography procedures in the department and developing consistent proficiency in performing these procedures. These procedures include M-mode, two-dimensional, planar Doppler blood flow studies, Exercise and Dobutamine Stress tests, 3D echocardiograpy, as well as the techniques required to calculate measurements of chamber size and value area.
In addition to being proficient in all commonly performed echocardiography procedures in the department, The Senior Cardiac Sonographer is responsible for providing leadership, clinical oversight, and accountability of all related education associated with their specialty area.
- Ensures procedures are performed within designated time frames in order to maintain the daily schedule without unnecessary patient waiting time, cancellations and/or reschedules.
- Learns and applies echocardiograph techniques in order to competently perform all commonly applied procedures in the Cardiac Graphics Laboratory. Develops proficiency in performing these procedures.
- Coordinates communications between referring physicians, departmental physicians and staff, nursing units and/or hospital staff to facilitate smooth patient and staff flow, inpatient transportation, scheduling, supply replenishment, equipment repair and problem-solving.
- Becomes knowledgeable in laboratory protocol, measuring heart chamber size and wall thickness, scanning techniques, preliminary interpretation of M-mode, two-dimensional, planar Doppler flow studies, 3D echo, as well as Stress Echoes.
- Works as a mentor for Echo Tech I position to ensure proper training with lab protocol.
Quality Management Responsibilities
- Collects and analyzes data to support the measurement and tracking components of quality management.
- Participates in formal and informal process improvement and problem solving to enhance the quality of service to customers.
- Proactively identifies quality issues to be addressed and brings to the attention of the Manager, Resource Coordinator and Medical Director as appropriate.
- Ensures the continuity of care through effective interactions with other departments
- Mentors and participates in staff orientation as appropriate; functions as a role model for all department staff.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with staff throughout the department. Promotes a positive work environment.
- Maintains competencies and complies with continuing education requirements of credentialing agencies.
- Demonstrates ongoing commitment to learning color flow mapping and newer procedures and masters these procedures within acceptable time frames.
- Fulfills reading requirements associated with procedures to ensure better understanding of purpose of procedures and how to conduct preliminary interpretations of procedure results.
- Provides clinical expertise and assists in education of department staff and physician trainees (i.e. fellows) as part of their formal training; participates in staff evaluations as warranted
- Assumes a lead role within daily operations of the department, assisting in ensuring that all patients are treated in a safe and timely manner. Assists the Manager and Resource Coordinator in problem solving as warranted
- Report incidences of equipment failure, irregularities in equipment performance, and equipment in disrepair to supervisory and/or quality control personnel as soon as possible
- Acts as a role model in promotion of NMH "Patients First" Mission and Best People initiative.
- Carries out Safety and Regulatory requirements necessary at NMH.
- Some out-of-area and overnight travel may be expected.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- RDCS or RCS
- 3-5 years of experience performing Echocardiography exams
- Experience with medical terminology as well as biomedical devices
- 5-7 years of experience performing Echocardiography exams
- Bachelors degree in health science field
- ACLS and BLS CPR
This job is expired. Please use the search form to find active jobs or submit your resume.